Aloe vera is a medicinal plant that’s benefits have been recorded as early as 2100 BC. Now, it is rapidly gaining popularity in the skincare industry because of how efficient it is at healing.
Aloe vera plants are so unique because their leaves are full of a very vitamin and mineral-rich gel. This gel so potent that it was approved as an OTC solution for helping in the healing of wounds, especially those caused by burns.
What is aloe vera gel made of?
Aloe vera gel is mostly made of water, in fact the clear gel is actually made of 99% water. However, it also contains a significant amount of vitamins, amino acids, and minerals which are amazing for your skin. Amongst them are:
- Minerals: calcium, selenium, magnesium, zinc, manganese, and chromium are just some of the minerals aloe vera gel contains. These minerals play a significant role in assisting important metabolic systems and enzyme pathways in your body and skin.
- Vitamins: Vitamin A, B12, C, and E are all present in aloe vera gel. Many of these vitamins work as antioxidants to help remove free radicals from your skin.
- Plant Steroids: Aloe vera actually contains four plant steroids which have anti-inflammatory properties. One of them, lupeol, also has antiseptic properties as well which would explain why aloe vera gel is so effective in treating acne.
- Hormones: Aloe vera gel contains auxins and gibberellins which are great with wound healing and are also anti-inflammatory.
- Amino acids: Aloe vera gel contains 20/22 of the amino acids which we require and also 7/8 of the essential amino acids.
As you can clearly see, aloe vera is loaded with essential vitamins and minerals which contribute to healthy and glowing skin.
How does aloe vera fight acne?
Aloe vera contains almost every popular substance which is scientifically proven to be effective at fighting acne. The salicylic acid, zinc, vitamins, and steroids present in the gel are very effective at speeding up the healing of acne and reducing the size and redness of your pimples. Not to mention that the high water content makes it an excellent moisturizer for your skin.
- The glucomannan in aloe vera gel interacts with growth factor receptors in collagen-synthesizing cells which eventually proliferates collagen synthesis and helps speed up healing of wounds and acne.
- Aloe vera gel also inhibits the cyclooxygenase pathway and reduces prostaglandin E2, which helps reduce inflammation caused by acne.
How should I use aloe vera gel?
You can get an aloe plant and simply cut the leaves open and use the gel directly, or you can look for products which contain aloe vera gel. The important thing to note is that if you do end up purchasing a product as opposed to the actual plants, there will most probably be some form of preservative added in the product in order to give it longer shelf life.
To get the most out of the gel:
- 1.wash and cleanse your face as you normally would
- 2. on dry skin apply a layer of the gel and gently massage it into your skin
- 3. you can let it dry on your face, or choose to wash it off after 30 minutes.
Aloe vera gel is a wonderful natural remedy when it comes to treating acne and in helping improve the overall appearance of your skin.The best part is there is a lot of scientific evidence backing up the effectiveness of aloe vera for healing the skin.