Lemons have been used as a beauty secret to cure all sorts of hair and skin problems for centuries. If you’ve ever used lemon juice on your skin to clear up hyper-pigmentation or to help get rid of pimples you can probably attest to how effective it is.
However, the question is what makes lemon so good for our skin to begin with? The main reason lemon works so well is because it’s juice is comprised of a variety of different vitamins and other substances which have been scientifically proven to benefit most skin types. In fact, a lot of the chemicals found in lemons are used widely in commercial skincare products.
Is lemon juice safe to use on my skin?
For the most part, lemon juice is relatively safe to use. However, lemon juice can cause phototoxicity when used in high amounts.
You should definitely avoid going out in the sun after applying it to your skin because it can cause blistering in individuals with sensitive skin upon contact with sunlight. Also, lemon juice may also fade hyper-pigmentation unevenly and lead to skin that looks slightly patchy.
That being said, these side effects are generally not something a person should be concerned about if they are only using a small amount of lemon juice. DIY recipes which involve using large amounts of lemon juice should be pursued with caution.
What is inside lemons THAT HELPS MY SKIN?
Lemons contain the following items which make them good for your skin:
- vitamin C/ ascorbic acid- helps induce collagen production and make your skin look younger. Vitamin C also helps stop the production of melanin so it actually fades dark spots effectively.
- citric acid- an AHA which reduces the affects of aging and exfoliates skin
- polyphenols- help prevent sun damage and also decrease the effects of aging
The above compounds are widely used in beauty products across the world and they have a lot of research supporting their effects in improving the way your skin looks.
Are lemons good for my hair?
You can also use lemon juice to benefit your hair. Since lemons help increase collagen production it can help repair damaged hair and also help your scalp health due to its anti -fungal properties.
- The amino acids in collagen have the potential to repair damaged hair to help new hair grow
- lemon has been proven to have anti-fungal properties and can help fight fungal infections in the scalp, ultimately leading to less hair loss.
SHOULD I USE LEMON AS A TOPICAL OR CONSUME IT internally FOR BEST RESULTS?
Lemon can both be used as a topical and internally. We’ve already discussed the benefits of using lemon as a topical, but consuming it internally also has many benefits as well.
Lemons are composed of roughly 89% water and the remaining 11% is made up of carbohydrates, fiber, sugar, protein, and some fat. Apart from this, they contain many chemicals which are beneficial in helping your body regulate itself including:
- Vitamin B6
For best results, you should incorporate small amounts of lemon juice into your diet as well as use it as a topical on a weekly basis.
- lemons are a great way to give yourself an effective facial or hair-repairing treatment at home. However, be careful and do not use lemon on your skin right before you go out in the sun because it can cause an adverse reaction!
- avoid excessively using lemon juice